Director of Programmes, Quality and Innovation at Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Programmes, Quality and Innovation
- This role is expected to provide leadership for Plan International Nigeria’s programming, strengthening the quality and building innovative approaches.
- S/he will lead the programme team in developing and managing innovative and quality girls focused and gender transformative programmes in line with the Country Strategic Plan as aligned to the global strategy.
- The job holder will monitor and evaluate the impact of the programme and ensure shared programme learning.
- As determined by the CD, S/he will act for the CD and carry out strategic country leadership responsibilities.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates widely within Plan International Nigeria, with partners and related government institutions.
- A strategic leadership position; the post holder will work with the CD, and the Heads of Development and Humanitarian programmes.
- Plan International Nigeria being a dual mandate programme, the Director of Programme Quality and Innovation will provide specialist advice to the country, regional and international programme team on the development and humanitarian issues in Nigeria.
- The role requires the ability to analyse and communicate complex information at a simple level to a wide audience and Influence diverse internal/external target audiences in Nigeria and probably within the West African region.
Key End Results and Typical Responsibilities:
Provide Strategic Leadership for the Programme Unit Management:
- Developing programme policies, objectives, activity plans and timelines
- Member of the Country Leadership Team.
- Contribute to the collective and informed decisions made by the Senior Leadership Team and Country Leadership Team (CLT) on major issues for program strategy, implementation and monitoring.
- Facilitate the design and evaluation of the Country Strategic Plan and Programs
- Facilitate the establishment and implementation of standards of accountability, effectiveness and efficiency in the achievement of Plan’s programme.
- Act as Country Director where necessary.
Programme Development and Management:
- Develop programmes and project management annual operational plan and budget.
- Ensure coordination between development and humanitarian response programme
- Ensure all programme compliance with programme quality procedure.
- Ensuring that the programme is implemented in a cost-effective, consultative, participative and gender-sensitive way and ensuring a gender-transformative manner in all Plan International Nigeria programmes
- Work with programme managers and the Partnership team to ensure capacity-building plans are developed for each partner and monitor the implementation of these plans.
- Conduct regular and frequent programme support visits to all programme locations with the aim of providing programmatic directions and support to Plan International Nigeria staff and partners in terms of programme delivery, donor compliance and programme implementation.
- Chair Programme Management Team meeting.
- Hold regular programme management meetings with programme managers, and heads of support departments.
- Ensure Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning frameworks are developed for each programme and implemented.
- Represent Plan in national, regional and international meetings as may be recommended by the Country Director and ensure that information/agreements are communicated and implemented accordingly.
- Publications – provide leadership in the facilitation of the publication of Plan Nigeria’s corporate program reports/documents.
- Build relationships with appropriate partners/networks working with Plan International Nigeria.
Financial Management and Control:
- Ensuring the implementation of appropriate financial controls for the programme
- Monitor monthly budget versus actuals, and advise the Country Director of any problems associated with programme implementation and budget including spent
- Ensure budgets are developed that are cost-efficient and realistic.
Human Resource Management:
- Performance management of all programme and resource mobilisation staff.
- Support the programme staff and identify areas for improvement in their performance.
- Coordinate with the Human Resource Manager, Programme Units managers and identify training needs and appropriate training courses for them.
- Train and induct Country Office and Programme Unit Administration staff on basic Plan procedures, best practices, etc. as required.
- Ensure staff safety, staff security, and medical and security evacuation procedures are drawn up, approved and implemented, as appropriate.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Exhibit dynamism in leadership, nurture talent, and drive learning and sharing so as to ensure effective and efficient high program support that helps deliver the country’s strategic plan.
- Influence situations where he/she has no direct control over resources;
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among the administration staff;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established processes.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Country Director or to the CMT for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Prepare annual programme reports for domestic and international consumption.
- Prepare and submit relevant quarterly reports to the regional office.
- Provide the Regional Hub, Global Hub, National Offices and other Cos with timely responses concerning queries linked with the programme.
- Report to the Country Director.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria Country Director on programme Quality and innovation issues.
- Work with all SLT/CLT Members and other heads of departments for the efficiency of Plan International Nigeria’s operations;
- Coordinate with Human resource and administration Unit leads in evaluating programme personnel at the Plus.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
Qualification and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree in Social Science, Development Studies or other related fields.
- At least 10 years of experience (5 of which must be at the Senior or Country leadership level) working in programmes, Monitoring and evaluation and resource mobilisation.
- Extensive knowledge of Nigeria’s socio-economic and political environment. Including development and humanitarian context.
- Extensive knowledge of Nigeria’s development and humanitarian programming environment.
- Strong national network capacity to influence programme direction.
- Experience in producing proposals and reports for a variety of donors
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to development and humanitarian response work
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of relevant complication applications including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), SAP and other relevant applications
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
- Communicates clearly and effectively in a style that inspires confidence and builds credibility with staff.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent Teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally.
- Analytical ability to draw pertinent conclusions.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with and persuade staff at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritize tasks
- Ability to maintain and achieve operational efficiency and identify and mitigate risks related to administration.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences.
- Confident representation skills.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the business and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted